I named this blog "attempted homemaking" because I'm learning to be a homemaker as I go, and learning means trying new things that don't always go the way I've planned. When we moved in to this apartment, my husbands former boss gave us these lamps (there are no overhead lights in the bedrooms here)
Nice lamps right? They're great, but I'm really not big on the brass look. I've read several articles about spray painting lamps so I got a can of spray paint, cleaned and dusted the lamps, "sanded" them with some fine steel wool, and then put an old sheet up on our balcony and spray painted them.
I used plasic bags and tape to protect the plug prongs and the light bulb part.
This is how they came out:
Things I've learned:
Only do one at a time, even though it's a small project, I couldn't put the layers I wanted on them because I ran out
Use glossy paint. It is more durable (won't rub off as easily) and it will look very nice with those lamps
Wear a mask. Even though I was outside and the wind was blowing away, and I had my husbands old work shirt over my mouth, I was still sucking in nasty fumes. Or I could get a low VOC paint (that might be a little better for the environment anyway)
Use more steel wool, so the paint sticks better.
Clean and dust long before, so I'm not rushed.
Whenever I do this again, I will post about my endevors.
To be continued.............eventually.........