Thursday, March 24, 2011

World's best spagetti sauce

When I was a teenager, I somehow got the worldly notion that learning homemaking skills would mean that I wasn't going to do anything "real" with my life and that I would be a better person to leave that to "lesser" women.  I feel sad and ashamed to admit that now and wish I could travel back in time to slap my teenage self in the face.  *sigh* Oh well. So while I wait for the perfection of the flux capacitor, I will just share this recipe and a brief background.  To overcome my hardheaded feminism, one thing my parents did was make a rule that every Sunday, someone besides my mom would make dinner.  We each took turns rotating each week who would be the one to make it.  My brother hated the fact that every time it was my turn I would chose spaghetti.  And not just any spaghetti, my mom's recipe of homemade spaghetti sauce!  I may have only learned to cook a few things before I got married, but at least I learned to make something that is TRULY delicious.  It also fooled a lot of people into thinking that I was an accomplished cook.  This recipe started from an old cookbook, and over the years my mom changed this and that and eventually half of the ingredients were crossed out and new ones written in all the margins.  This is the final result:
WORLD'S BEST SPAGHETTI SAUCE 
1 Lb. ground beef
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (12 oz.) can tomato soup
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbs. onion powder
1 cube beef bouillon
1 Tbs. parsley
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. corn starch
Break up and cook ground beef in skillet.  Drain.  Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Cook on low until heated through.  This tastes great if you put it in a slow cooker on low for 2-3 hours. 
We like to put this in the slow cooker before church and then we just have to cook some thin spaghetti noodles and we're ready to go.  My husband also really likes to put a little cheddar cheese on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment