Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Girl Time

I'm not the kind of person who says that loads of personal time is a big priority, but yes, we all need a break from kiddos once in a while.  My ward (congregation at church) has a playgroup for young kids every week, so the kids can play and sometimes it's educational too, and moms often get to visit.  It seems I don't visit as much because my littlest guy is at the age of extreme curiosity and no sense of danger, so he needs to explore and b followed around.  It's a lot of fun to see the look on his face when the wheels get to turning.  And I also get to see my 3 year old play with the girl that he claims he will marry when he grows up, and my daughter is making a new friend and they just play magically together, both loving pink, and frilly things, while still having a great sense of adventure, love of outdoors, and lots of energy!  And often we carpool to many of the activities so we all get a chance to get to know each other better.
Recently, some of the moms in the group, including me, started getting together to watch the show Project Runway.  To be honest, the show doesn't get me very excited, I've never been into fashion, or trends, and I try to wear relatively modest clothes.  Plus, I've never been big on reality shows.  The thing I like, is going and spending time with other women and we talk about how to make the nice outfits acceptable enough to wear, and usually one or several of us brings some sort of snack and after it's over we sit and talk for a while and it's just a lot of fun.  We tried doing it during the day, but as need be, we consistently interrupted by kids.  So we revamped our plan.  The lady whose house we go to records it and then we watch it the next day.  So we changed things up to going to her house at 9:30 p.m..  That way we have time for our husbands to get home, talk to them a bit, get kids in bed and asleep enough that they won't notice that we're gone for an hour or two.  I really like having other adults to talk to, my husband really likes that I get girl time, but he also gets peace and quiet when I get girl time and doesn't have to change diapers or clean up after meals or anything.  Another nice thing is that, unless we supply some sort of snack (it's always something simple) it's free!  No restaurant or big party or anything, just fun girl time!
These weekly girl times have come to be something I look forward to and thoroughly enjoy!


**Random note:  Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the work "thoroughly" has WAY too many letters?  Wouldn't it work to just write: thuroly?  Just a thought.**


1 comment: