Saturday, October 22, 2011

Favorite Bedtime Stories


Every nap time and bedtime I read my older two kids one book each (sometimes more).  We also read a lot through the day, but that's not the focus of this post.  The point is: I would like to share some books that my kids have been particularly happy with:




What Your Preschooler Needs to Know.  By E.D. Hirsch Jr., from the Core Knowledge series.  Of course not the whole book, but it has some classic stories that my kids enjoy, and they enjoy the versions in this book more than in other books.  Some of the stories are: Goldilocks and the Three Bears, the Gingerbread Man, the Little Red Hen, and the City Mouse and the Country Mouse.




Mother, Mother, I Want Another.By Maria Polushkin Robbins.  This is a cute book, it's about a baby mouse who's tucked in bed and when his mother gives him a goodnight kiss he says: "Mother mother, I want another."  Thinking he means another mother, she enlists the help of quite a few barnyard and other kinds of animal mothers to put her baby to bed.




Llama llama Red Pajama.  By Anna Dewdney.  I first heard this book when I took my kids to story time at the library and I was sold.  It's such a funny book.  Again, a baby llama this time, is put to bed and decides he want a drink of water after his mother leaves the room, she gets delayed by the phone and a fit ensues, followed by a reassurance that he is loved.  It makes me think of my oldest boy.



Frog And Toad Together. By Arnold Lobel.  All the Frog and Toad books are good, but this one really draws my kids in.  One of the reasons is because there is a story in it about cookies, and how Frog and Toad can't stop eating the cookies.  It makes me think of my husband and I when there are treats in the house!



How Do Dinosaurs... books. By Jane Yolen and Mark Teague.  There are several books in this series, but my kids really like How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight, How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read, How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food, and How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon.    There very cute, and they teach manners in a subtle way, while still being fun for kids!

There are so many more books that my kids love, and every time we go to the library (about once a week) they find more books that they love.  These are just a few that we keep coming back to.

In case you're wondering about my youngest, he usually listens to whatever his siblings are listening to (or at least park of it) and we also read board books with nursery rhymes and things like that.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment