Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mediterranean Potato Salad

First off, let me say that I am NOT a potato salad person!  I never was big on it, and then I lived in Germany for 6 months and they LOVE potato salad.  In six months, I probably had some kind of potato salad close to a hundred times!  And I NEVER enjoyed any variation of it, and they make it like most Americans.  Fast forward to the past few months, my husband's chiropractor suggested he try to follow a little more of a Mediterranean diet.  So I set out to find at least a few dishes so that we could incorporate it into our meals a little bit more.  So I braved the potato salad world once more and am pleased with the results!
2 pounds potatoes
1 green bell pepper, minced (this is the part that I dislike the most, but my hubby LOVES it, so I just set it to the side so that he could have some but I could avoid it!  Maybe that's why I actually liked it!)
1 large cucumber, sliced and quartered
1/2 cup sliced red onion ( I used a little less than a a half cup and soaked it in water for a few minutes before adding it so the onion wouldn't take over the flavor)
8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
salt and pepper to taste
3 pita breads, cut in wedges (the store I went to didn't have pita bread, so I used multi-grain thin buns Arnold Select Sandwich Thins Multi-Grain 12 oz (Pack of 4)and they were very tasty and looked like wedged pita bread!)

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes.  Drain, cool, and chop.
In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, (green peppers), cucumbers, red onion, and cheese.
Whisk together the lemon juice, salad dressing, salt and pepper.  Pour over salad and toss to coat.  Serve with pita bread wedges.

This is another one that I was very surprised to see that my kids enjoyed it!  The even asked for seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment